A nationally certified family nurse practitioner, Rae Lyn Mefford graduated with honors from Barton County Community College in 1993, when she became a registered nurse. After working in the hospital setting for two years she returned to school. She earned her undergraduate degree and graduated magna cum laude from Newman University in 1997. She graduated cum laude with her master’s degree from Fort Hays State University in 2000 and completed her doctor of nursing practice (DNP) at Wichita State University in 2011. She has also received many scholarships, awards, and recognition.
Some of Rae Lyn’s most recent awards include:
- Wichita Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Year Finalist 2015
- Wichita State University APRN of the Year 2014
- Wichita State University School of Nursing Alumni Society Graduate Nursing Student Excellence in Service & Leadership Award
- Ollie A. & J.O. Heskett Honorary Graduate Fellowship
- First Place ($10,000) Center for Entrepreneurship Shocker Business Plan Competition
- Robert & Darlene Anderson Endowed Fellowship
- Ray W. Rose Memorial Endowed Nursing Fellowship
Rae Lyn operated her own medical practice for five years until she had her fourth child and chose to stay at home with her children for a year. When Rae Lyn went back to work, she worked in the El Dorado Correctional Facility. She developed and implemented a successful pilot program to improve access to medical care for segregated inmates. As a result, she worked full-time in segregation for over a year until she gave birth to her fifth (and LAST) child. She went on to work one day a week providing chronic care in the general population medical clinic at the prison until she returned to school in 2009. At the same time she started working at the Take Care Clinic located inside six of the Walgreens around Wichita.
Rae Lyn is a member of American Academy of Home Care Physicians, American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, American Nurses Association, Kansas State Nurses Association, and Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing. When she is not studying or working, Rae Lyn enjoys spending time with her family. During the summer months, you can find her out on the lake wakeboarding, skiing, or just soaking up the sun. She also enjoys a good movie or playing video games with her children and husband.